Monday, July 22, 2013

Fathers and Daughters


There is no bond that is as special as the bond between a daughter and her father. He is the first man to capture her heart. He is the first man to wipe away her tears and tell her that everything will be ok. He is the first man to be there for her when she falls to help pick her back up. He is the first man to tell her she is beautiful and that he loves her. It is the unconditional love of a father that makes a daughter believe she will find a man just like him one day who will take care of her and be the father of her children.

It is every little girl's dream to have her father there on her wedding day. She dreams of walking down the isle with her dad and him giving her away. I feel very blessed to have had my dad with me on one of the most important days of my life. It was very special to me to have him share that day with me and to play a part in giving me away to another man.

I recently heard a story that reminded me of the bond that is between a father and his daughter. It was so sweet it brought tears to my eyes. You can see more on the story at www.today.com.

It was a Saturday in July as Rachel was preparing for the day she had always dreamed of, complete with wedding gown, make-up, and guests. But there was one thing missing.....the groom. Instead the day was about her dad. Her dad was dying of pancreatic and will likely live less than three months. 

So to make sure he was there on her wedding day Rachel came up with an unusual idea. She would create and record her own father/daughter dance. So they both got ready for this special moment. She dressed in a wedding gown and he dressed as if going to her wedding. 

The limo pulled up and Rachel stepped out in her wedding dress that sparkled in the evening sun. As they locked eyes her father said, "you look beautiful." 

Their embrace swallowed any sadness, conquering all worries. This bond was not yet ready to be broken. Especially not be for one last dance. 

The song they chose to dance to was "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman. They danced as family and friends gathered to watch. 

It was a celebration, but perhaps not the way Rachel imagined her wedding day would go, however, it was a night she will never forget. 

Her father said, "Each and every day we have a choice, we have a choice to either love that person in front of us or not. It's the relationships that you build over the years that is the most important thing in life."

So now when Rachel's actual wedding day arrives she will have that evening to share with the guests at her wedding. She will be able to play the video of her and her father sharing one last dance.

After seeing this story on the Today's Show it reminded me of the bond that I have with my own father. It reminded me to never take any of our relationships for granted, because we do not know how long we have with each other. We should treasure each day and love each other unconditionally.



I love you daddy! Thank you for the unconditional love that you have given me over the years. Thank you for demonstrating the love that my Heavenly Father has for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment