Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My Favorite Place On Earth



Today's post is dedicated to one of my most favorite places on earth. Mozambique.


A few years ago I experienced one of the most life change experiences of my life time. I had the opportunity to visit an orphanage in Maputo, Mozambique. The orphanage is ran by Heidi and Rolland Baker. The Baker's moved to Mozambique several years ago when they saw a need and wanted to play a part in helping to meet it.

Mozambique is a country that for many years was plagued by civil war. The war left the country desitute. Mozambique is now one of the poorest countries in the world. The war left many children without parents and many wound up on the streets without a home and without food for their bellies. The Baker's saw this need and moved to Mozambique to help provide shelter, food, and a safe place for these children.  

I was in Mozambique for about two months.Those two months were the best and the hardest months of my life. I learned so much about myself while I was there. Like many westerners I went with the intentions of ministering to the childern and sharing my love with them. To my surprise they touched my life as much as I touched theirs. It touched me to see their faces light up when they saw a new visitor coming to their home. It touched me when they would run to me and want to give me a hug. It touched me when a small child crawled up in my lap and sat there for hours enjoying being held by another human being. Many of these children just want to feel love and to feel the touch of another human. And in return they want to give you their love as they embrace you back. The people of Mozambique will forever have a special place in my heart. I will never forget them or my time there as long as I live.

My trip to Africa opened my eyes and allowed me to see how truly blessed we are. We do not know how blessed we are until we see those who have nothing. And it is not until we come face to face with this reality that we become truly grateful for those things that we have been blessed with in our life. My trip gave me a new perspective on life. Those things that I thought were important, just aren't that important anymore. My trip taught me to enjoy the small things in life and not to fret over the big things.

Here a just a few images of the precious children of Mozambique.  

via



  




If you would like to learn more about the Bakers and the ministry that they have in Mozambique. Check out their website.


Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment